Thursday, December 31, 2009

Year's End

Ah, the end of one year and the beginning of another. A time for a peaceful, introspective look at what transpired over the past 365 days in consideration of what may be learned from them to help us better face the next 365.

Of course, for many people it's an excuse to get roaring drunk, but I digress.

No, my plans for celebrating the New Year involve a quiet evening at home with dinner, Bones, The Office and perhaps a bit of Robert Jordan's The Fires of Heaven. I'm hoping to get the back porch cleaned off as best I can tomorrow and the Christmas tree and interior decorations stowed. There's still a good bit of snow on the ground here from the Great Blizzard of '09 and we had a fresh two inches added to the pile today, so the exterior decorations will likely stay up until it clears.

Yesterday my seed catalogs arrived in the mail. One goal I have for 2010 is to plant a better garden this year and maintain better than last year. I tend to do and learn things in a classic trial and error style. The garden last year provided some strawberries and some peas and little else due, at least mostly, to poor preparation and a bad location in the yard. This year we're going to change spots, expand it a bit, and spend some more time in the prep work. I haven't yet decided what to plant, but I'm figuring on some herbs and a couple of vegetables. I may turn the previous garden patch into strictly a garlic bed.

I also plan to finish at least two novels in 2010. Of course The Sixth Sword is pretty well finished anyway but it still counts. Devan and I had a brief conversation on one of the major plot points of The Sea of Souls yesterday. I'll be working on that novel through his upcoming deployment in 2010.

Hagy's Photography continues to do well. We're happy to have a decently steady supplement to our regular income and I'll be looking to really set the business on solid footing this coming year, particularly with a Web site to get us out on the World Wide Web.

Speaking of the World Wide Web, I also have thoughts of getting my own cooking show on YouTube. It's still in that wild hare stage and I understand that some fairly complicated long range plans have to be made for this, but I think I'm going to give it a whirl. It'll be entertaining and full of good food and we can all use a little bit more of both of those things in our worlds.

It's been a trying year for my family and some close friends. I hope 2010 brings better days to us all. Either way, I'm just going to be thankful for every day that's given to me. A day is a precious gift and we all too often underestimate its value.

No comments:

Post a Comment