Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Back On The Wagon

I have to plead distraction over the past week and a half as my excuse for not getting any real writing done. Remodeling the bathroom has taken up so much of my time that it was all I could do to get a decent night's sleep before getting up and going at the day again. We finished that up last Friday and Friday melted into a weekend filled with family and friends.

Since it was a holiday weekend I didn't really accomplish anything written. Monday was an off day and so today, Tuesday, has become my Monday. And still, I'm not getting much of anything accomplished.

Part of the reason for it today is Batman: Arkham Asylum for the Xbox 360. That game is insanely good. It's Batman as he was meant to be: dark, brooding and squaring off against the Joker with the lives of countless innocents hanging in the balance. It doesn't really get any better than that.

I also finished reading The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins over the weekend. Without really spoiling anything, it was a great young adult series that I found to be very entertaining. Devan was the first to recommend it, and then Dick, and when I have a recommendation from two literary opinions that I highly respect I have no choice but to dive into it. I was hooked quick and never wiggled free until I finished the series. I hope that Collins writes more. It will be interesting to see if her success will continue.

I'd like to say that I'll be making great literary strides myself this week, but that's just not going to happen. We're leaving Thursday morning for Tennessee to spend a few days in Pigeon Forge on a family vacation. I'll be doing some cooking and a lot of reading if my plans hold up. There's also a pool table and a Pac-Man game at this cabin we're staying at. I'm amazing at both, so I feel like they'll occupy my attention a good bit.

For a moment here I've questioned my dedication to writing. I went a few solid weeks of writing every day until the bathroom renovation broke my cycle. Even still, I've been making notes in my head and on paper as I've worked. I'm always writing in my head (I know it sounds like a cheat) and go through a few drafts before it makes it to paper. I don't think my dedication's wavered, but I think that it was slammed by a project that just consumed my every day for a week.

I got back on the wagon this morning in the weight room with Bryan. It's time for me to get back on the wagon with the writing too.

No comments:

Post a Comment