Sunday, January 17, 2010

Pyrex Explodes...Who Knew?

Now that I'm older and more mature (something that I'm sure a few people would debate) I find my culinary tastes a bit more varied. Once, I had no interest in soups. Today, I can appreciate a hearty soup, particularly one that's hearty enough to be eaten with a fork.

My sister-in-law makes a mean chicken noodle soup. She came in over the weekend to celebrate "the second anniversary of her 27th birthday) and was going to attempt to make her chicken noodle soup. Well, I was asleep because I wasn't feeling all that well, but I woke up in time to see the whole chicken being taken out of the pot and placed in a Pyrex baking dish to rest.

The trick to resting the meat is to allow the chicken to reabsorb some of the juices, and thereby the flavor, until you're ready to add it back into the soup. In the mean time, you add the noodles to the stock and bring it back to a boil while you saute the vegetables in mushrooms. Well, instead of turning on the burner under the pot of stock and noodles, she turns on the burner under the baking dish holding the chicken. A few minutes later there's a loud pop and glass goes everywhere.

I mean everywhere. All over the kitchen. Down the hall. Very nearly into the TV room and all over the stove and vegetables and noodles. Fortunately, no one was injured by flying glass and it took us about an hour to get everything cleaned up and scrubbed. A couple of potatoes sliced in half came in pretty handing for picking glass up off the stove.

Of course we had to toss everything we'd made up to that point. Tonight we attempted the soup again and it turned out excellently. I was tempted to post a photo, but that wouldn't of been much value other than just to show off and I've never been one to show off.

I've felt better today than I have in more than a week. I'm looking forward to starting off Monday with a clear head and really having a good week. Tomorrow, I'm going to try to wake up with the attitude of being happier than a bird with a french fry.

It'll be Monday. We'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment