Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Big Whiskey

At the recommendation of my cousin (and I dearly hate to admit she was right so she should be ecstatic that I'm publishing it on the world wide web. Consider it a belated birthday present cuz) I've looked into the musical stylings of Dave Matthews.

Wow.

For sheer musicianship alone the man should win a Grammy each year. I dare you to find another artist out there with that kind of talent and song writing ability. I'm a huge fan of Edwin McCain but even I'll admit the dude would be hard pressed to beat Dave Matthews.

I have three albums now, two of which are acoustic duet concerts with Tim Reynolds, who may be one of the best guitarists out there. Tonight I picked up Big Whiskey & The GrooGrux King with my birthday money from Grandma and Grandpa. I have enough left over from that, coupled with what I have left over from my family, to get Common Margins: Improvisations for Piano & Guitar by Tim Reynolds. The potential of that album is amazing.

So between the Edwin concert a couple weeks ago, hearing Bethany's chorale concert Sunday and my newfound enjoyment of Dave Matthews, I'm more determined than ever to make something of myself as a musician. Granted, I'm not looking to make it big. I'm looking to learn the guitar and make it an extension of my writing and creativity. There is a vast untapped world of potential out there in music. I'm determined to make a dent in it.

Maybe Bethany will give me voice lessons...

No comments:

Post a Comment