Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Cooling Off

So just as I've settled in to my summer reading, we're finally getting a break from the heat. All that really means is that I now need to mow the weeds out of the front yard that are towering over the dead grass, but since it's cooler that won't be a problem.

I've had a pretty good few days lately in the creative world. I typically have a series that gets me through the summer and this year I think Orson Scott Card's Ender novels are going to carry me through a good part of it. Ender's Game is a science fiction classic and the surrounding novels are almost as good. He's great a developing characters that really draw the reader in and that's something I can appreciate.

Bethany and I went out to the movies Sunday and saw Knight & Day. It's getting panned and was a box office flop, but I think that's a bit unfair. The movie was good and yes, I think it could have been better. However, it was a solid action film with a healthy dose of comedy thrown in. The writers could have made a more complex plot, but it really felt like they held back to keep from turning the movie into something they didn't want it to be. I'd say don't miss this movie. It's cool if you don't want to rush out to the theatre to see it, but I'd definitely purchase the DVD. It's one I want to see again.

I spent yesterday helping Patrick go through his bookshelves, organize and pack up the second and most cherished half of his collection to move to their new townhouse. In doing so I found some of my stuff and borrowed the sheet music folio for The Goo Goo Dolls' smash album, Dizzy Up The Girl. One beautiful thing about this folio is that every song has the proper tuning listed and for an album that only has a couple of songs in standard tuning, that's a big help. I sat down last night, tuned properly for Iris, and was making some serious headway into the intro and first verse.

Since I'm laid off, this is the first real summer break I've had since the summer between my junior and senior years of high school. It's almost enough to make me want to go back to school so I can have the summers off.

Almost...

No comments:

Post a Comment