Monday, June 14, 2010

A Pattern I Can't Picture


The waterfall at Douthat State Park puzzles me.

It's a man-made cascade of the overflow of the lake. I don't know how high it is, but forty to sixty feet shouldn't miss the mark by much. It's just a cascade across stones that sometimes dries up during the summer.

But photographically, it puzzles me.

There's a path that walks right along beside it. I can't get down to the base of the cascade but I can get along side it pretty easily. The water flowing over the stones is beautiful. There's a pattern to it that I just can't quite seem to catch with my camera.

I took an hour in the blazing heat of this afternoon to see what I could so with some motion blurs. I left my cable release at home (it's next to impossible to do without it) but I was able to improvise with a longer lens and my ND400 filter. This is a vertical panorama of four photos (though I cropped most of the fourth one out since I blew the exposure badly). It comes close, but what I'm trying to get just isn't quite there. I can't put my finger on it....Every time I pass by the falls I think about it. Maybe one of these days I'll capture it.

No comments:

Post a Comment