Monday, March 15, 2010

A Brief Monday Evening Post

It's a great time to be a sports fan, particularly a college basketball fan. March Madness kicks off this week. My bracket isn't filled out, but at first blush I'm picking Kansas to take the title. West Virginia has surprised me with a Number 2 seeding but I'm not that the Mountaineers are a consistent enough team to take it all the way.

My big focus this week, aside from basketball, is speaking at the Clifton Forge Public Library Thursday evening at 6 p.m. I have yet to write my speech, but I've been giving it some thought. Truthfully, I don't know yet what I'm going to say but I'll have it down by six on Thursday.

I've also been invited to speak at Boys' Home as part of their reading program May 6 and I've even been told that they are interested in ordering books, which is always a good thing for us writers trying to make it big.

And for those of you keeping track, the next round of cuts in the Amazon Breakthrough Novel of the Year Award contest will be March 23. Needless to say I'll be anxiously awaiting those results.

In the meantime I think I'm going to work a little more on Blood & Steel, which is now coming along slowly but steadily after a brief break, and I'll be reading The Surgeon's Mate, part of O'Brian's Aubrey-Marturin series. My reading pile is pretty deep right now, with three more O'Brian novels, The Count of Monte Cristo and Don Quixote. I've resolved to read Moby Dick by the end of the year, so I have a hefty stack to plow through.

All is right with the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment