Wednesday, March 24, 2010

It's Wednesday

So I didn't make it into the third round of the Amazon Breakthrough Novel of the Year Award contest. Oh well. That was farther than I made it last year and it doesn't mean my dream of writing novels for a living is crushed. It merely means that I'll just have to take a different path. I doubt seriously that I'll enter in 2011 when it comes around again. Most likely it will be 2012 before I have anything ready to enter and then we'll just see what happens next time.

There is something of an upside to being unemployed and that is that I can just drop off the face of the earth whenever I want to. I don't have to check e-mails. I don't have to report to the office every morning by 8 a.m. I don't have to report to anyone, really. It's nice. I could get used to that, though I'd much prefer to get used to that with plenty of money in the bank to take care of the bills.

So far I've been pretty good about taking a break this week from Blood & Steel. Instead, what spare time I've had I've spent reading O'Brian's The Ionian Mission and listening to The News From Lake Wobegone by Garrison Keillor. Both of these, particularly Keillor's podcast, have given me some inspiration to write something a little more humorous and accessible. Something more in the literary fiction realm, more so even than The Crownless King. I've only written a little comedy and that was inside the covers of Chaos Reborn and The Sixth Sword. When I was younger I really enjoyed private detective stories and that may even be something I revisit.

For now, I think it's time to visit lunch...

No comments:

Post a Comment