Monday, August 2, 2010

A Resolution

Welcome to August.

I heard something interesting on Barnes & Noble's Meet the Writer podcast. It was an older podcast and it featured an interview with Ridley Pearson. It seems to me that I've read something of Ridley's in the distant past, though I'd have to look it up to tell you. His most recent claim to fame is his collaboration with Dave Barry on Peter and the Starcatchers and the series that follows.

He talked briefly about his writing process and his advice to writers was pretty simple: Take a set time, every day, and write. Make it happen.

I realized I don't do that. This blog is a prime example. I blog when I feel like it, when some random adventure comes my way or, sin of all sins, when I have time. I realized today that if I'm going to be a successful writer I need to write every day. Without exception. So I'm going to start doing that. This blog will turn into a Monday-Wednesday-Friday publication and my August resolution is to have a minimum of 12 regularly scheduled posts by the end of the month. That's not to say I won't write more, but there will be at least three a week.

I'm at an interesting point in my life where my future can go just about anywhere I want it to go if I choose to make it happen. I think it's high time I made something happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment