Monday, February 22, 2010

Fundamentally Challenged

Have you ever had one of those days when all the little things in life just won't add up?

I have this theory about life that I try to apply to my everyday living. If you can take of the small details, they'll add up to the big things and life in general will go your way. Think about it...to play any kind of sport, you have to master the fundamentals first, right? Passing, shooting, dribbling...you have to know how to do all the basic stuff before you can play a real game.

In life I find that taking care of the basic stuff makes taking care of the bigger stuff easier to deal with. When I'm having a bad day, I absolutely must have a clean house. I can deal with the clutter in my mind if there's no clutter surrounding me.

Well, today the little things just aren't adding up. This is the week we have to finish off processing the wedding photos that we took at the end of January. I should have had them finished by now, but the truth is that dealing with unemployment distracted me and then led to a watershed week of writing that just couldn't be stopped until it ran out. So, honestly, part of the reason for the sudden crush of photos is my fault.

This morning I woke up with the intention of fixing all that. I did the little bit of chores around the house that needed doing and then sat down to check my e-mail. The laptop won't access the Internet. I don't know why, but it won't. I then went to work cleaning off the desktop and backing up files, all part of the process of getting the photos processed. It still won't connect to the Internet. Nor will the hard drive defragment or the the anti-virus software open up.

So I fall back to the desktop machine, which needs software updates and defragmentations and various other little details to be ready to work. I've had some success here and am down to the intensive virus scan that I try to do at least once a week and usually fail to do more than once a month.

But that's OK. I'm making progress. At this rate I should be on those photos by dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment