Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A Sneak Peek Among The Snow

The snow here is never-ending apparently. I just heard that we're supposed to get an additional 3 to 7 inches on top of the 2 to 3 inches we weren't supposed to get today. Word is that there will be 30 inches heading our way this weekend.

Amazing.

I just knocked off a few pages of Blood & Steel and decided to take a break for a different kind of writing and see what's happening on the blogs I'm following. You can check those out yourself by scrolling down just a bit and clicking on any of them that interest you in the list to the right.

I'm excited to say that Blood & Steel is starting to tell itself. I mentioned earlier today how I was hoping it would happen and it is. The blanks between the major plot points that I know exist are being filled in by the story. There are some major things happening in the life of our stalwart hero Sam and he's going to have to face the unforeseen consequences of his choices in The Crownless King. Without spoiling anything, I'm going to offer a little preview from the opening of Blood & Steel.

There are lands where kings rule by divine right. There are lands where kings are elevated to the level of godhood by the people they rule. The idea is that monarchs are infallible, that to question them is to question the divine. Kings are supposed to be perfect.
The sad truth of it is that we kings are just as flawed and imperfect as the next man. We make mistakes just like anyone else. Heaven knows I've made my share. Unfortunately, the mistakes of kings have consequences that touch the lives of thousands. My mistakes started a war.
And there you have it. Here, for the first time, the world premiere of a little piece of Blood & Steel. I know it's not quite as exciting as a cool trailer for an upcoming movie, but it's exciting to me. I'm nearly 30 handwritten pages into the story and things are starting to move along in the plot. I'll keep you posted.

For now it's time to bundle up against the cold and snow that's piling up against the house and do a little reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment